I think it’s smart. If a child wants to eat glue, sure it might make the child happy but does the child really know what’s best for their health and well being just yet? No. Do the parents? Yes. It’s the parents being a good parent and knowing that the child’s uneducated wants and needs don’t come above their health.
This is like telling your kids to go be an engineer because it’s what’s best for them. Maybe I want to be a meat-eating artist. Entire cultures subsist on what veganism isn’t. Saying it’s flat-out better and should be enforced onto children reaches the point where the very people you’re trying to convince are going to stop listening because it sounds psycho.
No, that free choice doesn’t put their health in danger. Eating animal products does. I will make the choice to feed my child what I want, and I will raise them in such a way they will see eating animal products for what it is: cruel and unnecessary. They will have the choice but they’ll just be raised in a way where they see the right choice is to be a vegan. Children are socialized to lose their compassion, and I won’t do that to my kids. And FYI you look super silly because if children had a “choice” in what they would eat they’d probably live off pop tarts and pizza pockets all day, and as a parent it would be highly irresponsible to let them make uneducated choices that directly affect their health and subsequently their quality of life.
What sounds psycho is that We currently produce enough food to feed the world, but feed it to animals we later kill instead. What’s psycho is people getting triple bypass surgery where doctors take a vein out of your thigh and open up your chest so they can sew the vein into your coronary artery instead of eating a vegan diet. What’s psycho is the environment is being cut down to house animals that are being produced to kill. What’s psycho is that people think their tastebuds are ever so important that they can take lives to satisfy them. What’s “psycho” is people thinking that their “personal choice” to eat meat only affects them, when the whole world is paying for it:
- 40% of global marine catch is by-catch (basically we are throwing back enormous amounts of unusable species into the sea, dead and wasted)
- An estimated 300,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises die in fishing nets every year.
- Overgrazing is blamed for 35% of soil degradation, deforestation for 30%, and agriculture for 27%. These main causes are directly or indirectly related to the consumption of animal products.
- Studies indicate that a varied vegan diet requires about a third of the land needed for conventional Western diets. We do not have enough land to feed everyone on an animal-based diet.
- The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport.
- Animal product consumption is causing deforestation: there are undiscovered plants and other things in these areas that could help with medicine, not to mention that rain forests and other land contributes to 20% or so of the Earth’s oxygen.
- 60% of deforestation is related to animal agriculture
- For every 4 lbs of retail fish caught, 1 lb of other fish dies.
- It has been predicted that all the world’s fisheries will collapse in 2048 unless something is done to stop it.
- It is estimated that over-fishing threatens the food security of about 200 million people.
- The Lives of Slaughterhouse Workers: they are usually on shitty contracts, are usually poor and people of color (PoC), how they don’t have basic working rights, and how often times they are undocumented, so they can’t go for help.
- Big, rich, Western, white countries go into other countries: usually (again) poor, underprivileged, native areas that are (again) usually inhabited by PoC. This takes land away from the people in that region or country and gives it to a) the livestock and/or b) the crops raised for that livestock.
- Even in the west, people who live near slaughter farms have shitty water, shitty soil, shitty air, and they get really really sick.
- They’re also more likely to be poverty stricken.
- Animal Agriculture Sickens Everyone
- Nestle Milk Chocolate Products Brought To You By Child Slavery
- Antibiotic use in meat production has been linked to the rise in ‘super bugs’, which are antibiotic-resistant bacteria, found in a lot of meats available in supermarkets. These maladies can kill people.
- In 2004/5 there were 2270 injury claims made in the meat processing industry, most of which were due to falls, injuries with knives and ‘body stressing’.
- People working in tanneries to make leather from the skin of animals that have been killed are exposed to numerous dangerous chemicals (chromium being the worst). The chemicals can cause cancer, skin diseases, respiratory illnesses while the machinery is also dangerous and can result in amputations. In India, people have died due to the exposure to these chemicals, due to unsafe working conditions. People have also died in Bangladesh and are affected by the chemicals in a multitude of ways. These chemicals can also leach into the water supply and affect the air and soil quality, which in turn causes illnesses and diseases in nearby populations.
- "Vegan is the future, out of necessity," and the UN agrees.
So next time you’re about to reblog an ask of mine with an unwanted, ignorant opinion, don’t.